My Tech Story
Ruth Idaneme Douglas
I work as a UI/UX Designer with Ribbon Blockchain.
- Why have you chosen this role?
I was looking to get into tech and did not want to code.
- How long have you been working in your job role?
A year and 2 months
- How did you get your tech role?
I applied for the role as an intern and was retained after 6 months
- What is a typical workday in your life like? (Kindly explain like you’re explaining to a 6yr old 😁)
I work remotely. We have stand-ups by 9:30 am where we all join a Google meet call to give our updates and address any issue that we need to. It usually takes 30 minutes. Then after that, I carry out my tasks for the day from my home.
- Challenges come with every role. What are yours and how are you facing them?
I would say miscommunication. But with time we would overcome it.🤝
- What do you think would make you perform better at what you do? (You never know who’s reading 😉)
I would definitely appreciate having a senior designer around the team.
- What golden secret can you tell someone trying to get into a similar role as yours to help them succeed?
No one is going to take you seriously until you start taking yourself seriously. If your design decisions are backed up by research, then do your best to make your point heard.
- Not to sound like that annoying interviewer at the recruitment table, but… Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
I definitely see myself as a UX designer in a company creating experiences that are impactful.
- It is said that people in tech work ‘haaarrrddd!’ (Some have even said they are boring. Walls have ears);🤐 How true?
Not at all. It all depends on the individual. Being in tech doesn’t necessarily mean you can’t have fun🤩
- What you do for fun. Please tell us how you unwind?
Spontaneity is my thing. Whenever I feel down, I just do the first thing that comes to my mind but then I always carry my friends along. Karaoke, drinking, or even just sitting out and laughing at old memories.
- What impact has More Techies had on you and your role?
I always get the latest ideas from ‘Ifeanyi from MoreTechies’. I love💕
- Just between us, (not exactly promising our readers won’t get the scoop 😎), what else would you like to tell us?
Being a student and working out a career in Tech is not an easy thing. I’m just going to say ‘💪🏽‘ to anyone like me out there. I see you. We’re going to come out stronger ☺️
- If you wouldn’t mind, do you have works/products you’ve worked on that you want to showcase? Kindly share the link(s).
- Kindly share a link to your most active social platform. You may just be the light someone has been waiting to connect with.