My Tech Story
I currently work as a Digital Strategist at Global Gate Management Ltd.
- Why have you chosen this role?
I did not choose the role specifically, I think the role chose me. I like to browse the internet and look for one thing or two to learn to satisfy my curiosity, especially those relating to tech. One day, I discovered I already had like 70% of what a digital strategist position I saw was asking. I applied, aced the interview, and got the job. I love the job because it’s one of the no-code aspects of tech. Also, I see it as a pass-through to the role in tech that I really aspire to.
- How long have you been working in your job role?
Getting to a year.
- How did you get your tech role?
As with any other role, you start by learning, especially if you don’t have a technical background like me. I love technology, and that makes any role in tech attractive to me, but the one I’m currently in is a little easier to learn than others, especially the one I want to move to later. Learning. Acquire the skills. Put your knowledge into practice. Do an internship or volunteer service. Use the experience to apply for jobs. That was it for me.
- How does your typical workday in your life play out?
A typical day for me is always a day like no other. The role I play is broad. Maybe today I’m doing email marketing, tomorrow I’ll focus on social media, the next day it’s lead generation, etc. From preparing my schedule the night before to waking up and getting to work early, to accomplishing the day’s goal and getting off work later – that’s what my typical workday looks like.
- Every role has its own hurdles. What are yours and how do you troubleshoot them?
Changing digital technologies and platforms. Before you say “Jack Robinson,” there’s a new tool in the market that works better than the one you are currently using. So you have to keep learning. Other challenges come from the platform or tool you are using. Lately, Barter has stopped issuing dollar cards and making international payments. Everyone is on the lookout for an alternative. Just be up to date
- What do you think would make you perform better at what you do? (You never can tell who’s reading this presently)
Aside from laying hold on good gadgets (esp. laptop) and access to some paid digital tools, a hybrid work mode (some days at the office, others at home) will make me also perform better. This will save time, energy, and resources.
- What golden secret can you tell someone trying to get into a similar role as yours to help them succeed?
This role is broad and ranges from management to strategy to advertising and so on. I myself am still learning voraciously. But for starters, get familiar with the various social media platforms, from FB to IG to YouTube to Twitter to Pinterest to LinkedIn to TikTok, which is now part of the mix.
- Trying to not sound like that troublesome HR… Tell me, where do you see yourself in 5 years?
In 5 years time, I see myself in a no-code role of tech I aspire to be in.
- Techies are perceived to be moody and nonchalant; Some even say they work round the clock and hardly have time for socials… How true🤷♂️?
Absolutely. Be it learning or working, technology is very exhausting! Also, technology is very results-oriented, and if you do not have results to show, you are out. And being results-oriented depends on how hard and smart you work.
- So, talking about fun and games🕺💃…What do you do when not working or facing the laptop😁?
I love to laugh and I have a good sense of humour. I unwind by engaging in funny things (videos, jokes, sometimes I make myself laugh….people say I am funny too). Likewise, you can take football and Man Utd away from me. That’s the pinnacle of my relaxation.
- What impact has More Techies had on you and your role?
More Techies platform reminds me that I am not alone. When I see members swarming to earn the certificate, do the projects, and learn more, I am encouraged not to slack off.
- Hey Triber✌🏻… being sincere, what else do you wish to tell us? You might just see it happen/finally get someone inspired! You gerriit?😉👍🏼
I love knowledge, but I don’t really like to read. Not that I don’t read, but I can say it’s a passion for me. So I cherish any other way to gain knowledge outside of reading, maybe that’s why I sleep and wake up on YouTube videos
- Kindly share a link to your most active social platform. You may just be the light someone has been waiting to connect with.